Monday, July 17, 2006

Halo Meeting in Finland 14-16 July 2006

Nearly thirty halo enthusiasts from all around the world gathered to Artjärvi, Finland for a weekend of avid halo discussion. Apart from Finland there were participants from the USA, Japan, Germany, Sweden, Czech Republic and Netherlands. The meeting took place in URSA Astronomical Association's new observation centre. The programme for the meeting consisted of five sessions that included 14 presentations. The topics spanned from halo theory and simulation to photography and observation techniques as well as national observation networks and great historical displays. Slideshows of the very best photographs took place in the evenings and everybody feasted their eyes on literally hundreds of gorgeous halo images.

The event was well organised and everybody appeared to be having a good time. The exciting presentations, friendly atmosphere and the evening gatherings around the campfire all added to a great experience of shared enthusiasm. And to top it all of, beautiful NLC displays illuminated the skies on both nights.

We are all indebted to the people who dealt with the groundwork: Veikko, Marko and Jukka worked hard on all the arrangements while Krista and Aikku prepared the delicious meals. As soon as the gathering came to an end the plans for a new meeting had already started brewing among the participants.

8 Comments:

Blogger Claudia Hinz said...

Thanks for the wunderful meeting (special thanks to the organizer), your friendly hospitality, the exquisite meals and the instructive lectures. I'm gladly come back.

Hope to see you soon again!

Paljon kiitoksia ja sydämelliset terveiset
Claudia

18 July, 2006  
Blogger Jari Luomanen said...

I sure had a blast as well. What a weekend and what a great bunch of people!

Currently I'm in a process of weeding my NLC shots and will in a few days put up a page with some of them.

Jari

19 July, 2006  
Blogger Michael Ellestad said...

I'm glad you all had too even though I was not present but I am sure you probably mentioned me from time to time. Hopefully when I get my car paid off and make more money I will probably attend the next meeting who knows I could have a classic Mustang by then.

19 July, 2006  
Blogger Patrik Trncak said...

Great meeting! Very important for all observers. So, I was add some next rare halos to world database, Peter-Paul and other, can you send me your observations of rare halos? I need date, halo type, light of source, place and name of observer (+ link to photo). Thank you.

24 July, 2006  
Blogger Jari Luomanen said...

A few more images here and here.

On my page there's a link to some NLC shots that I shot in Artjärvi.

18 August, 2006  
Blogger Claudia Hinz said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

21 August, 2006  
Blogger Claudia Hinz said...

Here still the Link to my pictures.

Many Greetings
Claudia

21 August, 2006  
Blogger Jari Luomanen said...

Thank you claudia, very nice images!

22 August, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home