Monday, October 02, 2006

Low sun Parry in Helsinki

October is probably the worst halomonth in Finland. The last chances for good high cloud displays are gone with September and diamond dust is not swaming in untill November. So it was nice to see today a low sun Parry starting to develop in the sky upon returning from grocery store. Grabbed pocket camera and tripod from my room and rushed to nearby parking lot.

The two images are stacked from series of 15 and 16 shots. The time span is two minutes in both stacks.

Earlier I had seen low sun Parrys only on two occasions. These were in high arctic Canada during diamond dust conditions. It took 22 years of observing to get one in high clouds.

3 Comments:

Blogger Michael Ellestad said...

Marko I have only photographed one good convex parry and that was in 2000 since then I only have gotten upper suncave parry which I consider "common" at least in my locality. Any other time I have gotten upper convex parry those were times it was poorly formed or it was in cloud fragments.

03 October, 2006  
Blogger marko riikonen said...

This one was not nearly as good as in stacked images. So, even from cloud fragments you may be able to squeeze out a nice Parry by stacking.

03 October, 2006  
Blogger Unknown said...

I was able to see both suncave and sunvex parry arcs one afternoon. They were close to each other and looked like lips.

27 December, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home