Friday, February 02, 2007

First odd radius halos observed 1-31-07

While at work on break I saw some cirrus clouds gather in the sky and I later saw a halo appear so I got my camera out of the car and my sunglasses. As the minutes passed I notice that there were three halos: 9 degree halo 18 degree halo and possible 23 degree halo. The left side of the 9 degree halo looks strange because it is brighter on one side and has a somewhat vertical look to it.

When I later downloaded the pictures I went through them with adobe photoshop and I applied the USM and I noticed possible 20 degree halo and even a 35 degree halo! You can see at least 4 halos in the enhanced photo. The possible 9 degree column arc and 35 degree halo have been pointed out with black arrows.

2 Comments:

Blogger Jarmo Moilanen said...

Nice display Michael.

But I do not buy your 9d column arcs. Where is 22d column arc = tangent arc. I can not see anything that point out anything else but plain 9d halo.

23 February, 2007  
Blogger Michael Ellestad said...

Jarmo when I was watching the halos I could see weakness of 9d halo on top and on bottom. It could be that the pyramidal columns may have been in an isolated strip but ya never know.

24 February, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home